Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Waltzing Matilda

Today I got some much needed sleeping in time. Then I went for a run. I made it 25 minutes before side cramps started in. I curse these stupid side cramps. Anyway, then came back and chatted on skype for 2 hours. I then went to class and turned in my essay. At least that is now that weight is off of my back.

In class we went over the national anthem "Advance Australia Fair." It became the national anthem in 1984. Before that the national anthem was "God Save the Queen." The song that came in second in the vote for the national anthem was "Waltzing Matilda"

Advance Australia Fair
Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.


Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iGNhgMd6uM and click on the right under the title to hear the song.

So for some background for Waltzing Matilda:

Swagman= someone who is traveling across the land of Australia
Billabong= small pond/swamp/ flood area
bill=a tin can that would be filled with water and hung over a fire until it boiled and then tea leaves would be thrown in. Called Billy Tea
Matilda= a pack of all of his things
Waltzing Matilda= traveling with a pack
jumbuck= sheep
tucker bag= food pack
squatter= someone who owns the land that this guy is staying on.
Troopers= police
"you'll never catch me alive... his ghost may be heard= he would rather die than get taken to jail

Waltzing Matilda

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
Under the shade of a Coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil,
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda,
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

....................

Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong
Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda,
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me,
And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

.....................

Up rode the squatter mounted on his thorough-bred
Down came the troopers One Two Three
Whose that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Waltzing Matilda Waltzing Matilda
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me
Whose that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker-bag
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

......................

Up jumped the swagman sprang in to the billabong
You'll never catch me alive said he,
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Waltzing Matilda Waltzing Matilda
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Click here to hear the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-YI44XYjI only this time it is on the left.

After class I came home and just bummed around. I found out that my giant reflection journal that is due on Friday is now due next Tuesday. So I lost all motivation to do homework. I pretty much played some games online, watched tv shows online, and read the news.

I tried to make macaroni and cheese but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. They do have kraft mac n cheese but it is $5 a box. So I boiled my own spaghetti noodles and then cut up cheese to melt into the noodles but the cheese became very stringy. I added milk thinking it would help cream the cheese but it didn't. All well. Kraft mac n cheese is now on my list of things to eat once I get home. It is up there with smoothie, Chef Boyardee, real Mexican food, fresh berries and orange juice. The do have orange juice over here but it taste terrible. I have tried 4 different brands and they all have such a horrible after taste. The rest of the juices are pretty good tough.

1 comment:

  1. to make macaroni and cheese from scratch, you have to make a white sauce (not entirely sure where to find a recipie for it, but it contains milk, cornstarch, white pepper, onion powder, and a couple of other things), then add cheese, and then stir in cooked noodles. I have to make my own all the time.

    ReplyDelete