Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Self guided walking tour

So today I got up and finished touching up my giant Reflection Journal and walked onto campus to print it off. I get to the print shop and there is a long line. Apparently every post grad student has a thesis to turn in. Ugh! So it took an hour to print my stuff and the I was finally able to turn it in and meet up with Anna. Anna and I took off to the central part of the city and went on a self guided walking tour from one of my tour books.

We started off the day by eating at a Thai restaurant. I got bbq chicken (still spicy) and coconut rice. The coconut rice was really good.

After spending 30 min trying to find the starting point we were able to start off at the London Court. There is a big shopping strip and in the middle of it down an alley way is a place called London Court. Here are some pictures:
We then went on our way to see government buildings and churches. I started off taking pictures but then stopped because I knew I wouldn't remember what anything was. Guess what? I don't this is some government building and I remember that Town Hall we beside it.

Here is St. George's cathedral:
I wanted to point out the arches. Perth is a convict colony. That means that the convicts were sent here from England to build the colony. So, any building that has arches that come to a point at the top was built by convicts, because that is the way the jail (gaol) was built. That was the only way they knew how to build.

There were a ton of souvenir shops throughout the whole route. So I did some more shopping. I think I have everyone covered. If anyone has a request for something please let me know!

During our tour I stopped in at Gloria Jeans (a chain coffee shop) and bought a treat called a caramel slice. It has a sweet crumbly crust, a layer of custard like caramel, and a nice fudge-like chocolate topping. Delicious!!!! I probably shouldn't have tried that because now I will buy many more.

We continued on our walking tour and saw more buildings that had little meaning (all things like the post office, police station, perth mint, and a ton of government buildings that all looked the same). After a while we decided that we needed to pee. So we stopped in at the Druxton hotel. Turns out it is a pretty fancy hotel. We were judging this by the lobby and bathrooms of course. Let me know if you see anything interesting about this toilet:
Look hard it is small.
Ready for it?:
I though it was funny! I peed in a product of my hometown!

The last thing we saw was the St. Mary's Cathedral. I took a picture because it was quite beautiful. Unfortunately, we were not allowed in to see the inside.

After walking and shopping all day I came back home and made a nice marinated pork stir-fry. It turned out really well. I'm getting better at this cooking thing. My feet are sore. I'm going to go watch one of my roommate's movies; No Reservations. Should be good.

2 comments:

  1. Do they do squished pennies in Australia? If they do, will you bring me one or two? :-) I caught up!
    miss you, and hope you're enjoying the rest of your study week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Sounds like all is going great as usual. You are special! Love dad

    ReplyDelete