Saturday, March 6, 2010

Riding by the River

Went to the farmer's market this morning. I was able to buy lots of very fresh fruit. I went with my roommate Nicky and our friend Sophie. Afterword, we came back to my place and we did a kickboxing workout. If you don't remember Nicky is the roommate that had a hard time with the workout before. It was actually her idea to do it again. Mostly because we all had a lot of greasy pizza, greasy hot dog braut chicken sausage things, followed by the rest of my chocolate cake. So we did a workout to make ourselves feel better.

In the afternoon Sophie and I went for a bike ride along the river. The river here is called Swan River. It really does have a bunch of black swans that swim all through it. The black swan is kind of like the city of Perth's mascot. It is on the seal and on their flags and there are lots of statures of black swans everywhere. The river is very wide and it seemed that the swans were all on the other side. We could see black dots on the water but I couldn't zoom in enough with my camera to get a good picture. We saw this bird when we first arrived at the river. We have know idea what it is. If anybody does know please inform me, I'm curious.




























I took a lot of pictures and unfortunately I had to stop because my battery was running low and I have yet to receive my camera battery charger. Anyway, we rode our bikes along the river. Where we were riding was not too far from the ocean and therefore it smelled just like saltwater. When we pulled over at a lookout point we noticed that the banks of the river are covered in dead jellyfish! I touched one of the jellyfish. No worries, when they are dead the cannot sting you. The are very slimy and surprisingly hard. I thought it would feel like picking up a Jell-o Jiggler, but it was almost like a slime covered upside down plastic bowl.


As we rode we also saw fish that jumped out of the water. Not just a random fish. One fish in particular would jump out of the water go about 2 feet further land back in the water and jump out again and travel about 2 more feet in the air. He did this long enough for me to get my camera out, turned on, and aimed in and then it stopped. So I was not able to record it.

Along the trail were these trees. I don't know what they are but they are very ghostly looking. So I took a picture of them as well.
We were unable to finish the bike trail along the river because we came upon a big barrier that blocked the path the had a sign on it that said "Pedestrians Be Ward, Snakes Have Been Seen in the Area" So at that point we discussed that Australia has the top 10 most deadliest snakes in the world and we decided to turn around and ride our bikes back to where we started.


Here are some more pictures of the river. It was nice to get out and explore the town a little bit. It was really breathtaking.














I did learn of a bird called a Willy Wagtail. (Yes that is the common name just like Robin or Blue Jay) We saw one on our back from the farmer's market and Suzie, the only Aussie that I live with, told us about it. They do fly and what not like normal birds but when they are on the ground their tail goes up into the air and just wags like a dogs tail. When we saw another one by the river I got out my camera and recorded it. Here is the video. They are a smaller bird but also very cute.

2 comments:

  1. Had this all typed and dad wanted me to leave it up while he watched the Purdue vs penn st game and i lost it. So Love your pictures. Very sharp and colorful. Where did you get the bike? Did you barrow it or have to rent it? Weather here is finally getting warmer. Up to 50 and next week is time change i'm told. Eric ent home today about noon. Dawn and Eric are both very happy. Went and bought a new furnace yesterday. Would have to buy one when we get ready to sell in a few years so might as well do it now. Do you read your e-mail? Sent you Malorys cell phone number and she said she has skype. I'm told time change is next Sunday. Sure comes quick. /watched the kids play basketball this am. Conor , Molly and Finn. Was so cute to watch. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love that bird with the waggedy tail. It's like being right therre. What? You didn't want to chance getting snake bit? Smart move on your part. See, mom and I did raise a smart daughter, especially when it means survival. Wierd-jellyfish- wierd-dead- weird. A beautiful scenic tour via bike. What great experiences you are having. Good to have one Aussie roommate to enlighten you about your surroundings in Australia. We went and saw michelle's three kids play kiddie basketball @ the Methodist church. Twas fun. Molly and Finn could score, but Conor was too short, even when the referee lowered the basket. Had a pancake breakfast @ the Dayton Prespbteerian church first. Wo. Quite a turnout. Twas put on by the volunteer firedept. It was a fund raiser to help two Dayton women who are gravely ill. Just finished seeing Purtdue men beat Penn State at Penn State - 64 to 60. It was down to 1 pt (61-60 with 13 seconds left, but Purdue then made their free throws. Last gme of the big ten season. The win gives them a share of the championship with Ohio State and Michigan State. All three schools had lost 4 games. First championship for Purdue since the 94-95 season. Managed to "hang on" without Robbie Hummel by the skin of their teeth.Grant stepped up and scored 17 points. His season average is 7 pts per game. Big Ten Tourney is next week.. Purdue women in tourney this week lost ther first gameFri to Wisconson 76 to 50, so the are out of it. Your about to wake up Sunday morning - Have a Great Day. I suspect mom told you abut Rayelle's good new, which we just learned about today. Eric went home today - YEA!

    Love dad

    ReplyDelete