Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lets eat Cake

Woke up and did a Kickboxing workout with my roommate Nicky. She really wanted to do it with me. I think the workout almost killed her. She had to sit down and rest a few times. I don't think she will be joining me again any time soon.

Went to my Australian Studies class. It is once a week for 3 hours. Pretty much have lecture for 1 hour and then watch a movie related to Australia and whatever aspect we talk about that day. Today was just a quick review of a timeline of Australian events. Nothing really that exciting.

Before class I went to a computer lab to print off notes. I realized that their paper here is different from ours. Ours is 8 1/2" by 11" theirs is 12" by 7 1/2" So it is too long for my folders. Also they hole punch their papers with 2 holes whereas we do 3 hole punches. There was a special school supply sale going on in the middle of campus today. So at the sale I bought 3 binders that my papers would fit into and a 2 hole punch. So now I officially have Australian school supplies. Feels kind of weird. I like our system of organization better.

After class I decided to go to the grocery store because I've been wanting cake for a while. I haven't had any desserts since I've been here. I was on campus and already half way there, so I just walked the 10 minutes. I bought a $5 chocolate mud cake. And then I bought 3 liters of milk, 2 liters of juice, and 1 liter of flavored milk. The Aussies go crazy over flavored milk. In addition to chocolate and strawberry milk they have mocha, iced coffee, banana, vanilla malt, caramel, and others. Either way, AFTER I bought my groceries I realized I didn't have my buss pass on me :( So I had to carry all of my groceries, plus my textbooks, 20 minutes back to my place. I was able to fit most of the liquids in my book bag, but man my back and shoulders were so sore when I got home. I have pretty much been reading microbiology since then. I took a break and watch NCIS though. During my break I ate some of my much awaited cake. Turns out the cake is dry and the frosting is chewy and heavy, like fudge. I don't know if that is Australian cake or just a bad pick of cake. I would make a cake except I don't have a cake pan, or a way to measure out grams of flour, sugar, butter etc. All well.

1 comment:

  1. Guess "you can't have your cake and eat it too." (Joke)
    Good thing you're in shape from kick boxing or you'd be in worse shape for 'back packing.' You'll have to tie your bus pass around your neck (like a yellow ribbon). Sounds like you're going to learn much about Australia from your class. Also, guess you'll have to buy a cake tin plus metric measuring cups & spoons. Are there Betty Crocker or Pillsbury cake mixes in stores? Or are they Australian brands. Went and saw Eric at the hospital yeasterday. He's still sleeping a lot and taking a lot of codine for his pain. Looks like he will be there the rest of this week. Dawn's (actually John bought it)2002 Isuzu trooper's moter needs to be replaced as it cracked a piston, etc. It's a 2002 vehicle they had for 4 months. Paid $7000. for it and a new replacement motor will cost about $4,500. plus Dawn thinks the transmission is going out. Hey, the tires are fine. So they don't know what to do. Maybe ship it to Australia. As it's nearly one o'clock in the morning your time, hope you're having sweet dreams (about cake?) Love, dad & mom Have you had a chance to see Kathy's class yet? Matt said we was going to go to the school Sunday pm to help get it set up. All well on this end. Love you

    ReplyDelete