Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Strictly Ballroom, Netball round 2

I did not sleep well last night! The stupid cricket that has been my wall since the day I moved in chirps all night every night. Last night at 4 am he started chirping! Only this time it sounded like it was right beside my ear. It was so loud!!! As I laid in bed trying to fall back asleep I got a very sick nauseous feeling in my stomach for about an hour. So needless to say when my alarm went off this morning I hit the snooze a bunch. I did eventually get up and go to work for 2 hours and then went to class.

In my Australian Studies class the teacher had us split into groups and design a care package of 6 items that represented Australian culture. We then shared with the class. This took over an hour!!! We came up with some cool things like various native animals, foods, surfboard, boardies (board shorts), bad 80's haircuts like the mullet and rat tails, indigenous art, didgeridos, boomerangs, native plants, pictures of people walking around barefoot and what not. It was pointed out that Australia is the only place where guys wear board shorts for everything. Everyday clothing, going to the beach, going to class, working out in...etc. Its kind of funny to see it.

Then we watched a movie called Strictly Ballroom. For once we got to see a descent movie that wasn't based on stupid humor. Out of a 70-80 some odd people in the class I was one of 4 who made it all the way through the movie. It was about a boy late teen's early 20's whose parents were ballroom dancing champions and taught classes. He had been dancing since he was 6 and was tired of dancing the same steps. He wanted to bring in a new dance to the ballroom dancing world. His partner of course left him. So he found a beginner from his parent's class to train to be his new partner. In the end they did the new dance and were eliminated from the competition but the entire audience was on their feet yelling and cheering them on. Anyway, I liked it. Maybe because I was a Rhythmette at Benton Central or I just love to dance out at the bars and clubs.

After class I went back to work for 2 hours and then came home because I was so hungry. I ate a light snack because Nicky's netball team was down 3 players and they needed me to play. A team consists of 7 players. So you can see why it was so important that I play. I went and this time I did so much better than the first time I played. I was defense so no I did not score any baskets. But our team did win, by a lot! It was great fun.

I also received an update on Carmela's brother. The girl was released from the hospital and she is doing ok. Unfortunately, they found her brother's body. They were going to do the autopsy today to determine the cause of death. It is assumed drowning. I guess a group of them were partying and drinking all night. At 6 am he took off in a canoe with the girl. I don't not know what his blood alcohol content was but I assume after drinking all night it was pretty high. Therefore, his heart rate was low and the cold water didn't help along with his inability to coordinate his body to swim. It is quite a tragic story. He was only 18.

So then I spent the rest of the evening studying for my econ quiz/test which is on Thursday morning. YUCK! This time it is not multiple choice, it is essay AHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment