Saturday, May 22, 2010

Free persimmons, S'mores, playing in the rain

I woke up this morning and made biscuits and gravy!!!!! I had been craving them for awhile now. The biscuit recipe was not very good but the sausage gravy part turned out really well. My roommates like biscuits and gravy too. Afterwords I was going to go for a run but it started down pouring. Normally I would go ahead and run in the rain. I love running in the rain! But I didn't want my shoes to be wet for the race tomorrow.

I made my way to the farmers market around 12:30pm. It closes at 1. I went to the booth that gave me a discount last time. The guy recognized me and asked how The American was doing. I told him I was doing great. Last time he tried to sell me a fruit I didn't recognize. When I asked him what it was he said he had no idea and just wanted to get rid of them. So this time I asked if he knew what the fruit was yet. He still didn't. He claimed they were orange tomatoes. I informed him that they were persimmons. Since I could tell him what he was selling I asked him to give me a discount. So I paid $1 for all of the produce in my arms. 4 bananas, 5 oranges, broccoli, and a head of lettuce. Then after I paid I asked if he wanted me to take some persimmons off of his hands. He said take the whole box!! I ended up with about 15 persimmons. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I have looked up some recipes online for persimmon cheesecake, cookies, bread, and cake. Either way it should all be delicious !

After the farmers market it started raining again. I worked on my essays that are due soon and laundry. I didn't have any clean running clothes for tomorrow because I've been running twice as much lately trying to figure out how to get rid of my stupid side cramps.

I went grocery shopping for dinner and dessert. I made Philly Cheese steak sandwiches for dinner! And s'mores for dessert. I've been on quite a kick lately with American foods. At the store I discovered 3 things: 1. The french dressing is clear over here not red or orange, 2. There is no such thing as butterscotch chips (like chocolate chips) to bake with, and 3. Rice Krispies are called Rice Bubbles.



My roommates loved both the Philly Cheese Steak and S'mores! They were pretty good. I had to use a cracker called Nice. It is a regular cracker but instead of salt on top it is sugar. It was the closest I could come up with for a graham cracker substitute. Also Cadbury milk chocolate instead of Hershey's and flavored marshmallows. We have an electric stove, but we were able to find a candle and roast our marshmallows over it. We rented a movie called The Gift. It was pretty good. We popped popcorn and even took a break in the middle to run around outside in the rain because it was storming down so hard. One of the guys picked me up over his head took me back out. He ran around yelling that his umbrella (me) was crap! Then he put me down on my side straight into the wet and muddy grass!! What a punk! So I ran back inside and he followed me and I got a coffee mug filled it up with water and dowsed him!!! So now we are even!!

Earlier that guy had been explaining how he and his roommate have been playing practical jokes on each other all semester. So I stole Mark's joke on Sophie and we went over and stole the roommate's (Mike's) mattress. But we took all of the sheets and pillows and put it back on the bed so it looks like it is still there until he goes to lay down on it. We also stole of the shoe laces out of his shoes!

Then we went back and finished watching the movie. It was a very good very funny evening with great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment