Friday, May 7, 2010

Snickerdoodles!!!

I woke up and went straight to my Nutrition Education lab this morning. We had a special guest lecture who is a dietician that works with refugees. It was kind of interesting to see things from a refugees point of food. You are in a new country, away from home, have probably had to deal with torture or trama in your home country. Can't speak the language, live in refugee camps, have to learn all of the new cultural do's and don'ts, may run into people who do not want you here, all of the food is different, can't find familiar foods, one you buy food you do not have a car so you have to walk or take the bus, have to figure out the bus system, can only buy what you can carry. (I started thinking to my self that this scenario sounds familiar) I first came here and didn't know where to go to get food, had to figure out the stupid bus system, I could only buy what I could carry, the foods I'm used to buying are now gone...etc. At least I speak English and can read the labels to figure out what things are. But yeah I agree it is tough to be a refugee.

After class went home ate lunch and studied some more for my microbiology quiz. Then I went to my microbiology lab and worked through a painfully boring lab and then took the quiz at the end. I think I did well. I thought I did well last time and got 7/10 (highest in the class) but still I though I had them all right and still missed questions. So we shall find out next week. After lab I went to work and got my official staff number!! So now I can get paid and have access to the computer files for the mobile phone part of the data entry.

I came home and watched some tv and made stuffed peppers for dinner. I bought 3 bell peppers for 90 cents at the IGA and they needed to get eaten right away. So I was cutting them and getting them ready. I cut the stem out of the last one and looked inside and it had black parts. Apparently it was going bad but the outside looked pretty good still. Then I looked inside again and found a 1 inch long worm/cattepillar thing. YUCK! So I threw it away. The stuffed peppers turned out really well. They were quite delicious. I shared them with Nicky and Gavin. They both liked the peppers.

Afterword, I showed Nicky and Rikke how to make snickerdoodles!!! They were super messy to make but the turned out to be delicious goodness. Suzie came out of her room because the whole unit smelled like cookies and ate one and really enjoyed it as well. A bit later on Sophie came over just to try them and also agreed.

I was discussing with Nicky about something and Jaguar the car came up. Nicky from South Africa, Gavin from Australia, and Sophie from England/ Singapore all agreed that it is pronounced "jag-you-are" I laughed really hard at the way they say it and of course they laughed at how I say it. So we agreed to disagree. There is another car called the Peugot. It is french and is pronounced "Poo-Go" we pronounce that differently as well. I believe we call it "Peg-ot" So yeah, we had a laugh at that.

I also did my Food Microbiology homework tonight. Pretty exciting Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment