Tuesday, April 27, 2010

vegemite and lamingtons

(pictures from yesterday are up on the previous post titled Bike ride and dancing)

Slept in, because I stayed out late dancing. It was a very nice sleep (mostly because I was exhausted!) Took my time getting ready this morning. Went to my Australian studies class. The teacher brought in vegemite and lamingtons for us to try. The "PROPER" way to eat vegemite is to take a piece of toast, lay on a thick layer of butter (not margarine) and then the absolute thinnest layer of vegemite. It pretty much tasted like a butter sandwich, only with salted butter. We also had lamingtons. These are little bite size squares of sponge cake dipped in chocolate and then rolled in coconut. I would have liked them if there wasn't any coconut. I hate coconut. YUCK! But apparently most Australian's have tea time (a few times a day) and eat lamingtons (all sorts of varieties) with their tea.

After the food tasting we watch another true Australian classic called Mariels Wedding. This was yet another pretty dumb movie, but I did laugh at some of the jokes. It was better than The Castle but I still would only watch it once in a lifetime.

After class I met up with Andrew and got my passport and camera back!!! YAY!! Now I can post some pictures from yesterday!!!

Then I went to work for 3 hours. That was my limit before my brain turned to mush. Came home and made spaghetti and a cheese and parsnip bake. The spaghetti was good. I had never really had parsnips before. They look like white carrots. The taste of the bake was ok. Parsnips have a strong distinct flavor that is new and would require getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment